Saturday, January 17, 2009

the tragedy of death makes life more beautiful

a good friend of mine
taught me that in capturing
the death of something beautiful
we do not mock or deface that thing
but we capture the life of that creature
for us and those that we love to remember
forever



as I walked onto the ice

slowly so as to test its integrity

snapping pictures along the way

I realized that this creature

Had not died in peace

A pool of blood

Lay almost two feet in front of this lifeless corps


As I walked onto the ice

Slowly so as to test its integrity

I watched the ice to make sure it wasn’t cracking

That’s when I realized this creature

had not died in peace

there were drops of blood

sprinkled all along the ice

red stains ruining the formality

of this smooth brittle surface


as I walked onto the ice

confidently now because of its integrity

I gazed upon this creature

And admired its beauty

I realized that I had never

Seen a goose

So close and so still

And I wondered

How and why

This creature was slaughtered


As I walked off the ice

Camera in hand

Being yelled at by some uppity land owner

I didn’t even care

Because I had completed my objective

I had seen that the tragedy of death makes life more beautiful